Surena and I attended the M.D Anderson Board of Visitors dinner last night, honoring new lifetime members of the Board. (Read: event where people in the room have the ability to donate millions of dollars to the institution.)
I had wondered why there was security detail when we checked in, but quickly realized President George H.W. & Barbara Bush were in attendance. (People in Texas often refer to the elder Bush as "41.") The Bushes are strong supporters of M.D. Anderson, and permanent members of the board. Now most of you know (or should) that I am a born and bred Democrat, but still, seeing a former President in person is a bit exciting, regardless of your party affiliation. They were only staying for the cocktail hour, as security often requires them to leave before the end of an event.
We were seated for dinner, and I realized the program would be at least 2 hours, so I had better make one last trip to the restroom. I was heading with focus toward the hallway when a hand reached out and took my arm. I turned to find 41 holding onto me! He took my hand and asked when the baby was due, and if it was our first child. I told him it was our first, due in January. He smiled and said "That is great. So great. Congratulations." I responded, "Thank you so much." I guess my restroom trip was timed perfectly to run into him in the lobby as he was leaving.
How crazy is that? A former president gave me baby congratulations!
Tuesday, November 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What are the chances in that ever happening to anyone?! What a fun story to tell baby!
crazy. You look great! Wow... I can't believe you are going to pop so soon!
too funny given how much you love the bush family!
Post a Comment